Thursday, October 13, 2011

Practice from the Dark Side

Photo Source: TheDreamSky, Flickr, Creative Commons

What would it be like to explore your least favourite poses? You know the ones. The poses you somehow "forget" to practice, that you keep in the dark.

I love attending Yoga classes because every teacher has a different practice to offer. A pose that can feel so amazing to one person, can be a moment in hell for another. Left to my own devices, I might skip certain poses. But if it's suggested in class, I'll usually give it a try and take a moment to wonder why I despise it so much.

Here's how to connect with your Dark Side:

Without searching too much, place your body in a pose that you would, without a doubt, say NO to. Make sure that it's safe for your body. To what ever extent is possible, settle into this pose and ask yourself: "what is it about this pose that I say NO to, that I keep in the dark?"

Now ask yourself: "how does this relate to what's happening in my life right now?"

Consider that what kinds of things you choose for and against leads to realizing life patterns.

Remember to simply be curious. Notice what's happening. No need to figure anything out today.

It may be helpful to know that even Darth Vader makes it out of the Dark Side in the end. Given the chance, your least favourite pose may become your favourite someday.

Have fun exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment